Thursday, December 29, 2005

A Day in the Life of...

...an assistant principal...in a high school...a big one.

Over the years, I've learned that if I plan my day on the way into work, nothing that I intended to get done, will get done. Something always happens. The parent you aren't expecting shows up demanding to know how many other kids got suspended in the fight yesterday. Was it just her son? He was only defending himself (yeah, by pummeling the other guy).

And if it's not the parent, it's the teacher who tracks you down and asks if you've read the morning paper. The paper? Like who can do that in the morning? It's actually the Obituaries she was wondering about. (Generally, I only read the obits to see if I'm in them. If not, I go to work.) One of our kids had died. Did I know what happened? No, I didn't know, but I could find out.

But that's another day.

No comments: